Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 4 in NY

Let me just say that today has been awesome. This morning I woke up at 830 and got all my stuff packed up again. Then I hung out with Rina and Jack until 1045 at which point it was time to go to the airport.

My flight from Syracuse to JFK was fast and uneventful. I met someone who also likes Robert Jordan so that was cool I guess. At the airport I decided to hang around for a little while since check-in at the hostel wouldn't start for a couple of hours. I bought a grilled chicken sandwich at Cheeburger Cheeburger and that was pretty good. By the time I finished eating it was time to head over to Manhattan.

I'd read somewhere that you shouldn't accept a cab ride from anyone who tries to get you in the airport or before you get to the yellow taxi line so I ignored all the ride offers and got straight in line. A few minutes later I was in a cab heading downtown. I was a little uneasy at first but I guess I get used to things quickly. I'm just glad I'm not the one who was driving...

The cabbie found my destination easily and he was very good and helpful so I tipped him well. Check-in was simple and fast bit I was surprised that I got a private room since I thought I'd booked a shared one. Not that I don't enjoy having privacy... I really really do.

So after I got all settled in I decided to walk up to Central Park and maybe find a quiet place to read, but I ended up just walking all the way up to 83rd or something and then taking the subway back down to 23rd once my phone died.While I let my phone charge back up on my room, I walked over to the Corner Bistro and had a Bistro Burger, fries, and water. It was pretty good but I was pretty hungry so I didn't take much time tasting it.

I thought about just going to sleep when I got back to my room but then I decided to make the most of my time and see the Empire State Building. It was gorgeous up there. Windy... but gorgeous. I tried to take as many pictures as possible without being redundant.

When I got down from the ESB I wasn't tired yet so I headed over to Times Square to see the lights at night even though I'd walked through on my way to Central Park. It was rather pretty and I would have stayed longer but I decided that since I was alone I should head back to the hostel. I got back at about midnight.

Wicked tomorrow afternoon!!!!

1 comment:

Deb said...

I am very glad you are cautious and brave at the same time. Smart. I hope Wicked is wonderful. We miss you here.