Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 5 in NY

Well this morning I woke up at around 8 or so and had breakfast in the commons area. It was fairly good. Not the best complimentary breakfast ever but whatever.

After breakfast I went over to the Rockefeller Center Plaza and bought a ticket to the "Top of the Rock". There was a good sized line because of groups of tourists but it probably took about the same amount of time as getting to the top of the ESB did the other night. The view was great at the Rock... better, even, than the view at the ESB.

After I finished at the Rockefeller, I walked over to the theater district and picked up my ticket for Wicked. I still.had two hours to wait before the doors would open so I walked over to the Food Emporium because I was starving. It's a pretty similar feel to Wegman's except more urban. (obviously)

I walked around the block a few times before deciding that it was late enough to go into the theater. There were a ton of people there. I got a pretty good seat at the front of the mezzanine, and was happy with where it was situated.

Anyway Wicked was amazing. I loved every bit of it! I do need to mention, though, that nobody compares to the original cast. That being said, today's cast did a magnificent job and I remember thinking as I walked out of the theater that I would be completely satisfied with my trip if it had ended right after that. It was that cool.

After Broadway I spontaneously boarded a train for Coney Island. It took quite a while a get there. As soon as I arrived I went straight to the beach, bought a hot dog from Nathan's, and hung out there until about an hour before sunset.

I went back to the hostel to let my phone charge up and then went down to the Staten Island Ferry. I rode it there and back and that was really fun. I loved how windy it was.

When I got back to Manhattan, it was too late to do much else so I just came in and wrote a blog post.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring!

4 comments:

Jane Babcock said...

You are being incredibly brave.

Deb said...

Yes, your confidence and ability to try all these new things is impressive. Art museums? You would be fun to travel with.

Jennilyn said...

Sounds like some amazing times! Is that subway ticket coming in handy? I ended up walking just to see things up above. Garment district and the fabric was my favorite new discovery last trip into the city. When do you fly back west?

Sarah said...

Yes thank you much! It still had quite a few trips left on it before my spontaneity took over. :P I fly back to Salt Lake on Monday afternoon.